What you can do if your phone has fallen into the water
Nearly everyone uses a cell phone these days. The cell phone is now a faithful companion and is taken everywhere. It can happen quickly that the cell phone has fallen into the water and suddenly no longer works. There are various ways of dealing with water damage to a cell phone. Which possibilities there are, what is to be considered and what you can do if nothing helps at the end, you will learn here.
Why water is so dangerous for cell phones in the first place
Water is very bad for cell phones, as it can cause serious damage to electronics. Moisture is an excellent conductor of electricity, so it can damage the sensitive components inside the phone. The liquid can also corrode and short out the internal wiring, which can cause serious damage to the electronics. In addition, water can damage the sensitive components inside the phone, including the battery, processor, screen and other components. If the phone is dropped into water and water enters the phone, it can also damage the cooling system that protects the processor from overheating. Water can also cause damage to the wiring, which can lead to a loss of functionality. In worse cases, water can enter the phone and completely destroy the electronics. If water enters the phone, it must be turned off and dried out immediately to prevent further damage.
What you can do if the phone fell into the water
If the cell phone has fallen into the water, you should take the following steps:
- First, the cell phone should be removed from the water immediately.
- Try to remove the battery and other components from the phone immediately to avoid further damage from short circuits. Of course, this is not possible with some phones, as the batteries are permanently installed and cannot be replaced.
- Dry the phone with a cloth and try not to shake or hit it to prevent further water penetration.
- Remove all components such as battery, SIM card, memory card, etc. and make sure they are completely dry.
- Place the phone in a dry, ventilated place to prevent it from absorbing more water.
- Do not try to turn on the phone until it is completely dry.
- If you can turn on the phone, check if it still works.
- If it stops working, have a qualified technician check it to see if it can be repaired.
- If it can be repaired, you should have it repaired as soon as possible.
Phone read into water – does it help to put it in rice?
Once you start looking for solutions on the Internet, you often read something about a tip that advises you to put the wet phone in a bowl of rice after the phone has fallen into the water. At this point, you probably immediately ask yourself if this really does anything and if so, why this is the case at all. It can actually be a good idea to put a wet cell phone in rice, but it’s not the best option. Rice has the ability to absorb and hold moisture, but it can’t prevent moisture from getting into the device.
Rice is a good way to keep the device dry temporarily, but it cannot prevent moisture from getting into the internal components of the device. If the device is wet, it is best to turn it off immediately and place it in a dry, airtight container. Then you can place it in a bowl of rice to try to absorb moisture. It is important to leave the device in rice for at least 24-36 hours to allow it to absorb moisture. If the device is still wet after this time, it is best to take it to a professional to open it and clean it thoroughly.
How professionals proceed with a wet cell phone
Having taken the cell phone out of the water and perhaps put it in rice for some time in the first step, it may still be necessary to visit a professional to get it working again. The next step is then to take the cell phone to a repair shop that specializes in repairing cell phones that have gotten wet. There, the cell phone will be thoroughly examined and cleaned to assess the damage. The repair shop can then decide whether or not repair is possible. If possible, the cell phone can be repaired.
In this case, the phone is disassembled to repair the damage. Each part is cleaned and dried to remove moisture from the device. Then, new components are installed and the phone is reassembled. After the repair, the cell phone is tested to ensure that all functions are working properly. If the phone is fully functional again, it can be returned. If not, the repair shop should advise on other options to repair the damage. Experts recommend that devices that get wet should always be repaired by a professional workshop to avoid damage. However, with the right care and treatment, the damage can be minimized so that the device can function properly again.
Insure the cell phone against water damage as a precaution
It should actually be known to everyone that cell phones can be insured through certain cell phone insurance policies. There are often not only fall and breakage damage insured, but often also the water damage in question. Insurance can help with a wet cell phone by covering the cost of repairing or replacing the device. Usually, policyholders have to pay a deductible, which can vary depending on the insurance company. Once a wet cell phone is reported, a technician from the insurance company will usually assess the damage.
If the device can be repaired, the insurance company may provide a preliminary cost estimate. The policyholder then pays the deductible and the rest of the cost is covered by the insurance company. If the device cannot be repaired, the insurance company will replace the value of the device and the old cell phone will be disposed. The policyholder must then pay the deductible and the insurance company will cover the replacement value of the device. In some cases, the insurance company may also offer a replacement loan to help the policyholder purchase a replacement device. The credit is then provided by the insurance company, less the deductible, and must be repaid by the policyholder.
Tips for avoiding water damage to cell phones
To avoid water or moisture damage to cell phones, it is important to be aware of your phone’s susceptibility to water or moisture damage. In most cases, most smartphones and other portable devices are not waterproof. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the following protective measures:
- Avoid immersion in water or other liquids – If your phone gets immersed in water or other liquids, it is best to turn it off immediately and let it dry. Then, don’t try to turn it on until it is completely dry, as moisture can get inside the phone.
- It’s best to avoid contact with moisture – Also, avoid using your phone in humid environments like the bathroom or near a swimming pool. If you must use it in these environments, then make sure it’s properly sealed and protected against moisture.
- If you have sweaty hands, it’s best to wipe your hands before touching the phone. This can help prevent moisture from getting into the device.
- Try to avoid rain or other weather conditions – In addition, it is advisable not to use your phone in bad weather. If you have to use the phone in rainy conditions, at that moment make sure that it is properly sealed and protected from moisture
- Do not expose your phone to extreme temperatures – Avoid using your phone in very hot or very cold environments. This can increase the risk of water and moisture damage.
- Use proper protection – For this, a waterproof case or cover may be suitable, which can protect your device from water and moisture damage. Also, be sure to check the protective case regularly to make sure it’s in good condition.
By following these simple protective measures, you can greatly reduce the risk of water and moisture damage to your phone.
Gehört zum Inventar