Blackmagic Design today released DaVinci Resolve 18. It allows multiple editors, colorists, VFX artists and sound engineers from anywhere in the world to work simultaneously on the same project on the same timeline. In addition to hosting and sharing in the Blackmagic Cloud, it also enables a new DaVinci Proxy workflow.
DaVinci Resolve 18: The features and what’s new
DaVinci Resolve 18 focuses primarily on new cloud-based features designed to enable remote collaboration. Project libraries can be quickly and easily hosted with Blackmagic Cloud and the same timeline can be edited in real time with other users around the world. The new Blackmagic Proxy Generator automatically creates proxies linked to the original camera footage, speeding up the workflow when editing video.
Joining them are new Resolve FX such as “Ultra Beauty” and “3D Depth Map,” improved subtitling for editors, GPU-accelerated painting in Fusion, real-time playback of title templates, bus conversion from Fairlight Fixed to FlexBus and more.
More security and faster work
The new Blackmagic Proxy Generator app creates and manages proxies from original camera footage automatically. One creates a watched folder so that new footage is automatically converted to H.264, H.265 or ProRes proxies for accelerated editing workflows. For offline tasks, one pulls proxies into a separate folder. Switching between original and proxy is done with just one click.
DaVinci Resolve 18 brings an intelligent material management depending on the storage location. When collaborating, you can use it to link material to your own file paths in an instant. Users of secure private networks in particular should benefit from a significant increase in performance.
It is also possible to stream your own DaVinci Resolve Studio Viewer via DeckLink Live and display it remotely on a computer screen or grading reference monitor anywhere in the world. Low latency and high 12-bit image quality enable fast and accurate adjustments.
For colorists, DaVinci Resolve 18 also has interesting new tools on board. The new Object Mask in the “Magic Mask” palette can detect and track the movements of thousands of special lenses. For advanced secondary grading and effects, the DaVinci Neural Engine intuitively assists in cropping animals, vehicles, people, food, and countless other elements.
With the new Depth Map effect, a 3D depth map of a scene can be created in an instant to independently color-touch up the foreground or background. This can be used, for example, to highlight interview subjects in the image or to add atmospheric effects to the background.
Also new is the ability to adjust graphics on surfaces with distortion or make dramatic perspective changes to T-shirts, flags, or even facial profiles. The tracker’s custom grid follows the movement of the textured surface. Add graphics or intricate tattoos or even hide logos with this powerful tracking tool.
For skin beautification corrections, “Ultra Beauty” gives you even more targeted control. This allows you to clean up general imperfections by smoothing the skin and restoring details.
Higher speed, better sound
In DaVinci Resolve 18, brush strokes are generated and displayed GPU-accelerated in real time. This allows for a more intuitive approach to cover-ups or graphic design. Instant visual feedback can be used to evaluate and correct work with brush strokes or shapes of any type.
Fusion templates are up to 200 percent faster with new memory management and data handling. The enhanced toolset for Dolby Atmos deliverables supports rendering stereophonic output from complex Dolby Atmos mixes. A 7.1.4 Dolby mix can be rendered for playback on headphones in a way that preserves the immersive sound experience even with only two audio channels.
DaVinci Resolve offers native support for the latest industry-standard audio formats, including Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D, MPEG-H, NHK 22.2 and SMPTE. Space View Scope displays a real-time view of any object in relation to the room and other objects in 3D space.
DaVinci Resolve 18 features
- Support for Blackmagic Cloud to host and manage cloud-based project libraries
- The new Blackmagic Proxy Generator app creates and manages proxies from original camera footage automatically
- The ability to work with either proxies or the original files from the camera
- Support for smart path maps to automatically relink files
- Performance enhancement to the project library when using private servers
- New object mask to automatically detect and track moving objects
- New Depth Map for generating 3D depth mats in scenes (DaVinci Resolve Studio)
- New Surface Tracker for tracking distorted surfaces (DaVinci Resolve Studio)
- Refined “Ultra Beauty” tool among Resolve FX for sophisticated retouching
- Enhanced subtitle support for Timed Text in TTML and XML formats and embedded subtitles in MXF/IMF
- Support for inverting “Shape”, “Iris” and “Wipe” transitions in the Edit workspace
- New 5×5 multicam view allows simultaneous viewing of up to 25 different perspectives
- Flicker GPU-accelerated paint tool for smoother brush strokes
- Support for live previews when using the Text+ Color Picker
- The ability to convert previous projects in Fixed Bus format to FlexBus via the Project Settings
- Improved mixing of immersive Dolby Atmos sound, including stereophonic monitoring
- Deconstruct nested timelines with track data intact, including FX and automation
- Innovative Space View Scope in Fairlight illustrates location in 3D space
Price and Availability
The public beta of DaVinci Resolve 18 is available for download now from Blackmagic Design’s website.